I have been putting a considerable amount of weight for the past 3 months – 9 kg to be exact. This is due to the lack of daily exercise and also by eating too much during meals. I noticed that whenever I eat more than usual even during my normal lunch or dinner, I would put on weight easily after one week. After a few months of continuous eating, I have a big round tummy around my waist. My friends have noticed the change and told me that I am getting fat; and occasionally make jokes out of it – I am fat, and that is a fact. I told myself that this has to stop and began to devise an exercise regiment to get rid of the excess fat around my waist.
My plan is simple. To reduce 8 kg in 3 months and the method is to walk about 4 km everyday. I choose walking because it is the easiest exercise to do. All I need to do is to put on my jogging shoes and start walking around the park or on the treadmill. But to do it everyday, now that requires much discipline from me. When I first started on this walking exercise program, the first 3 days was fine. But I felt a little tired and lazy after the fourth day. I wanted to rest as my body and legs were slightly aching from the daily walking exercise. Luckily I pushed myself to get out of my house and start walking in the park. I noticed that after 2 weeks, I began to feel slightly lighter and stronger. In fact I could walked faster throughout the 4 km without the feeling of lost of breath or tired. And strangely enough I also do not feel so hungry or tired throughout the day – there was no lethargic feeling inside me. I drink more water and a bottle of isotonic drink daily to make up for the sweat loss. And the additional benefit was I actually felt that I slept better during the night.
After one month of walking exercise, it was result time. Before I put myself on the weighing scale, I knew that I had lost weight. Very simple to figure out. It was because my pants that I was wearing daily felt loose around my waist. I stepped on the weighing scale and I saw that my weight had in fact gone down by 2 kg. I was so happy with the result and I knew so long as I continued with the walking program, I would eventually lose 7 to 10 kg in 3 months. Throughout the one month, I did not go on dieting program or change my habits of eating. But I became more conscious of what I eat and chose to eat more fruits, mushrooms and vegetables daily. I still go to fast food restaurants during weekend because I love MacDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Long John Silver – yes it is junk food but absolutely delicious.
Nowadays, I feel more energetic and I have started to lift some weights as well during my exercise. The fats around my tummy must be getter smaller because my pants are getting loose on my hip. I hope to wear back all my old pants of size 32 after 6 months. I guess in life if you have make a firm stand on getting what you want, you will do all it takes to get the results. I have a few tips for those who wants to start losing weight by walking. Here it is –
1) take a calender and start marking a tick on each day you have completed the walking exercise. No excuse of not exercising unless you are sick, bad weather or have to attend to something very urgent on that day.
2) it does not matter whether you want to walk in the morning or evening. Just make sure that you do it.
3) wear a pair of comfortable jogging or walking shoes.
4) wear comfortable clothes – I normally wear a loose T-shirt and shorts.
5) bring a small towel because you will sweat alot.
6) drink some isotonic drink or water about one hour before the exercise.
7) bring a bottle of water along if you need it. Some of us can feel thirsty after walking for 2 km. I always bring a water bottle along.
8) do some stretching exercise before the walk and after the walk. Start by walking slowly and increase the pace when you are comfortable.
9) open up your feet when you walk, increase the pace of walking when ready and slow down the pace when you are tired – feel your rhythm.
10) eat more fruits, mushrooms and vegetables daily.
Losing weight by walking is by far the easiest way to trim the fats around your waist, staying fit and healthy. It is also very cost effective too because I don’t need to pay crazy amount of money on dieting programs and exercise equipments. All I need is a good pair of jogging shoes and a comfortable t-shirt and shorts. Do remember not to over exert yourself especially if you are doing brisk walking. If you feel that you can only walk 1 or 2 km during the first week, it is all right. The key to success here is Discipline. You have to make sure that you do it everyday. They say that life is a journey, so keep walking.